With summer just around the corner, it’s easy to swap those textbooks for beach towels. But while it’s easy to relax this summer, students should also use the summer to gain a beneficial internship experience. Summer internships are great way to make your resume standout, show your dedication, and gain amazing experience in your field.
You want to make sure you gain the most out of your internship experience. It’s easy to fetch coffee and run errands as an intern but remember you can maximize your internship to be much more than that. Here are a few tips to help you make sure your internship is extremely beneficial to both you and your employer:
- Establish at least two or three learning objectives—set goals you want to accomplish and discuss them with your supervisor. This will help you, and it also shows your employer what you want to get done.
- Take initiative! Don’t wait for projects to be given to you. Volunteer for tasks and ask for more duties.
- Demonstrate maturity and go above and beyond your supervisor’s expectations.
- Be observant—note how employees organize their ideas and respond to questions.
- Seek feedback/accept constructive criticism. What you do might not always be perfect or right. When your boss shows you how to do something better, don’t take it personally. Instead see it as a chance to become better at your job and gain new skills.
- Be the best version of yourself—whether this means manners, professionalism, or working as a team—be a better you.
Visit the Career Center website for more tips and suggestions to maximize your internship experience.
If after reading those tips you’re still overwhelmed with the idea of becoming an intern, stop by the Career Center’s Summer Intern Prep Workshop May 23 from 1-3 p.m. You’ll even be able to take an assessment to help you understand what strengths you can bring to an organization. All majors are welcome to attend!
Also don’t forget to tell the Career Center your success stories! One of the many benefits of an internship is sharing the experience with other students, friends, and family. So join the #TUinfinity campaign to share your story and you could win a $500 Amazon gift card! For information on how to enter, check out our page here.
Good luck with your summer internship!
Career Peer Advisor